My little girl is a SpongeBob fan so i decided to make this for her birthday. The cake is made of chocolate sponge and orange cream.The board holding the cake was decorated with fondant (i made myself!),cream(the sea) and crushed digestive biscuits(the sand). It took me quite sometime to make the fondant as i wanted as detailed as possible.All efforts worthwhile to see the smile on her face. =)
- 4 layers of 5" round cake tin
You will need:
- 250g optima flour
- 4 eggs
- 60ml cold water
- 80ml oil
- 2 tablespoon of good quality cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Your favorite filling/cream
The Preparation & Baking:
- Whisk all ingredients in (A) except oil till thick.
- Add oil and whisk till combined.
- Bake in lined cake tins for 15-20 minutes at 160°C,cool on rack when done.
- Fill and stack all layer.
- Chill in fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Shape the layered cake into a pineapple shape (similar method as to making a doll cake.) with a sharp bread knife.
- Cream and deco accordingly.
- To know if your cake is cooked thoroughly or not,insert a skewer or satay stick onto the centre.If it comes out clean,it is done.
- Personally i prefer to line my tin with baking paper than grease it as it is easier to remove the cake when done.
- This cake is very prone to breaking as it is very soft,so be careful when removing from tin.
- The top of the cake cracks or burns easily,so keep a lookout when baking and adjust temperature and tier accordingly.
- You do not need to use a spring form tin,a normal cake tin will do.If you wish to use a spring form tin,cover the tin surrounding with aluminium foil.
- Do not slice cake when it is hot.*The cake is very fragile when it is hot.
- Different mixers and ovens will differ in mixing and cooking time.
- For more info,click here.
~Indulge in what we make at DeQueenKitchen~