This is the second time i make a castella cake aka japanese sponge cake.I had never eaten a castella cake before but i guess this texture(spongy,soft and moist) and taste(honey) is what its supposed to be?
I am using Eugenie's recipe,a food blogger that i really like.Like Ochikeron,she has nice videos with clear instructions.
I have used this recipe twice already and i really love it. Its easy to make and yummy to eat.I hope you will like it too.So do try it and let me know what you think. ;)
- Loaf pan (6.3"x2.4"x3.1")
You will need:
- 3 egg whites
- 50g bread flour
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 tablespoon green tea powder
- 2 tablespoons hot water
Mix 1 tablespoon of honey with 1 tablespoon of hot water.
- Sift flour,set aside.
- Combine honey with 1 tablespoon of hot water and stir till honey dissolved,set aside.
- Combine green tea powder with 1 tablespoon of hot water till well mixed,set aside.
- Whisk egg whites and add in sugar gradually till stiff peak formed.
- Add egg yolks to (4.) one at a time till well mixed.
- Fold in flour.Add in honey mixture.
- Scoop out 1/3 of the batter and mix in (3.)
- Add plain batter then green tea batter in alternate batches into a greased and lined tin(line inside with parchment paper and outside with aluminium foil) till all batter are used up.*make sure you fill only 2/3 of the tin.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 40 minutes at 160°C.
- After removing the cake from the oven,*brush the honey mixture onto the cake.
- Let it cool a little,peel off the baking paper,wrap with cling wrap and place in refrigerator.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving,
~Indulge in what we make at DeQueenKitchen~